Here's another installation of hot trends for 2013:
|Look To Bars for Flavor Inspirations|
|Cola Takes a Backseat to Artisan Sodas and Fresh Juices|
|Fast Casual Rules the Dining World|
|Upscaling Items - Taste and Name Changes|
|Snacking Is Where It's At|
|Truth In Advertising ... Or Else!|
|Multi-Course Meals As a Special Treat|
- Momofuko - $200 Korean "bo saam" family style meal of a dozen oysters, a whole roasted pork shoulder, BBQ sauce, kimchee, and lettuce in which to wrap the meat.
- Daniel Boulud's dbgb - "start with house-made fromage de tête, and then dig in to chef Eli's pennsylvania green village farms slow roasted suckling pig with its provençal stuffing of swiss chard, pork loin, chestnuts, wild mushrooms, and fines herbes. Side dishes include brussels sprouts with smoked bacon, roasted root vegetable with apples, bitter greens with garlic vinaigrette, and a potato, leek & fromage gratin. Top the whole thing off with our fabulous vanilla-chocolate flamed black forest."
|Pop-Up Dining at Hotels|
- Invite a Star Chef - Four Seasons Resort Hualalai hosted chef wunderkind Ludo Lefebvre and his hotter-than-hot LudoBites pop-up for two weeks on Hawaii’s Big Island last winter.
- Showcase New Tastes - Morocco’s introduction to the pop-up came a few months ago, courtesy of Four Seasons Hotel Marrakech. First up was Bombay Cut, a gourmet Indian resto tucked into the lobby library and helmed by Chef Amit Kamath. A sizzling success, it was then followed by Buena Vista Social Club, a Cuban bar pop-up housed in a pavilion and offering Hemingway’s favourite cocktails, the Mojito and the Papa Doble Daiquiri. Coming this spring is Last Call, a speakeasy-esque jazz bar that will be hidden by an entrance made look like a dry cleaners with actual vintage washers and dryers (and, as befitting a pop-up, the daily password to gain entrance will be shared via social media).
- Be the Host with the Most - Four Seasons Hotel Toronto offers four different themed pop-up possibilities for its meeting and events clients, complete with lighting, décor and customised playlist: Le Bistro, Italian Trattoria, The Fat Chef Gastro Pub and Das Bavarian Beer Hall.
- Educate With Flair - Guests at Four Seasons Hotel Miami get in on the action with cooking lessons from Executive Chef Aaron Brooks and his team at a pop-up location on the property, announced the week prior.
|Food Vending Machines & Self-Service Kiosks|
- Los Angeles-based Sprinkles, with their 24-hour cupcake ATM.
- McDonalds with their order-and-pay kiosks in the U.S. and Europe to speed services and cut lines.
- Jamba Juice has JambaGO, which vends its products in places like schools, entertainment complexes, and convenience stores.
|Freshly Baked Breads|
|Green Is Good|
- Dannon and Chobani - both companies have opened flagship yogurt bars in Manhattan, New York.
- Barilla will launch pasta restaurants in the coming year.
- Ghirardelli Chocolate has opened a soda fountain/chocolate shop inside Disney's California Adventure theme park.
|Some of the top buzzwords for 2013 include:|
Yes, it's a lot to take in, process, and plan for, but isn't it better to know what lies ahead? We consumers are fickle, and we will seek out those businesses that are responsive to our ever-shifting desires. Wouldn't it be better if that business was yours?
*I'd like to thank Baum-Whiteman International Food and Restaurant Consultants for their insightful and relevant content.